IR35 actions and timelines: Your next steps
- Start communicating with your contract workforce and their managers about what’s happening, and keep them in the loop throughout.
- If you made plans for IR35 in March 2020, take a second look at them, especially at the “Part & Parcel” and “Control” aspects, which may have been impacted by COVID-19.
- Provide all relevant staff with refresher training on IR35.
- If you audited your contractors in March, do it again, as your contractor population will have changed.
- If you made any IR35 decisions for March, make them again and share them.
- Make IR35 decisions for any new contractors who’ve joined you since then.
- Choose and get familiar with the right determination tool and process for your organisation. If you were using CEST before, consider alternatives.
- Make sure your appeals process is ready.
- Reinstate your internal policies, communication processes and FAQs around IR35.
- Update your IR35 timelines, especially pay and invoicing dates.
Review working practices
Review legislation and technology
Start commercial negotiations
Make turnover plan
Re-establish appeals process
Set up new working processes
Communicate with contractors and staff